Understanding the international pension needs of your employees
When it comes to pension planning, there can be a myriad of considerations to take into account as an employer, particularly if you have international employees working in the UK, or UK employees in overseas pension schemes.
Importantly, making the most of UK tax breaks doesn’t have to be limited UK pension* plans.
International employees can often enjoy the same benefits by continuing with their existing overseas pension arrangements during their time in the UK but careful planning is required as this can be a complex area.
However, an active member of a non-UK pension scheme, it’s important to ensure that the employer (and employee) contributions and benefits conform to UK tax law requirements and limits if you are to avoid unwanted tax charges.
*pensions can be called different things in different countries but broadly speaking, it is a vehicle to help you and your employer save tax efficiently for your retirement.
Our people, your partners
To help navigate the complexities of the cross-border pension needs for your employees, Blick Rothenberg’s award-winning international tax team provides a range of UK and international pension services.
As a former winner of Corporate INTL Magazine Cross Border Pensions Adviser of the Year, we bring together a unique combination of high-quality international pension services, expert international tax advice, leading-edge technology and accredited processes and systems.
Explaining to employees
Our international pensions support includes the following areas:
- Assessment if non-UK pension schemes qualify for UK tax relief
- Helping you and your employees claim UK tax relief on pensions, and calculation of optimum employer and employee pension contributions
- Explain to you and your employees how the UK pension system works including when you need to auto-enrol overseas employees working in the UK
- Helping employees make informed decisions whether to join a UK Pension scheme
- Advice on your international pension strategy generally and including specific support in relation to globally remote workers, international commuters and those on international assignment
Making pension contributions can trigger a multitude of complex tax and social security issues for employers and their employees who work internationally and across borders. However, with careful planning, unnecessary complexity can be avoided, and in many cases, contributions can be made tax efficiently.
If you are either an employer or an individual and you would be interested in discussing any global pension tax matters, we would be delighted to speak with you.
Making pension contributions can trigger a multitude of complex tax and social security issues for employers and their employees who work internationally and across borders.