With over 20 years’ experience advising on stamp duty issues and as author of the leading textbook on stamp duty, I am widely recognised as a leader in this field.
I am a Chartered Tax Adviser and joined Blick Rothenberg in May 2019.
With over 20 years’ experience advising developers, investors, occupiers, funds and individuals on stamp duty in connection with real estate transactions, group reorganisations, corporate reconstructions and capital markets matters, I am widely recognised as a leader in this field. Like a stick of rock, “stamp duty” runs through me.
I am widely consulted across all areas of stamp duty work and have contributed to the development of government policy, tax authority practice and statute on stamp duty, as well as writing and editing the leading textbook on stamp duty – Sergeant & Sims on Stamp Taxes – and a textbook especially for conveyancers – The Stamp Duty Land Tax Handbook: A Guide for Residential Conveyancers.
I am a regular commentator in the media on stamp duty issues and have been quoted in a variety of publications over the years, including the Times, the Telegraph, the Financial Times, the Daily Mail, the Daily Mirror, Tax Journal, Taxation, Tax Adviser, Estates Gazette, Property Week, Law Society Gazette and The Conveyancer and Property Lawyer.
I speak at and/or chair a variety of stamp duty events, including PRT’s SDLT Conference, IBC’s SDLT Conference, and LexisNexis and Law Society Webinars.
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT)
- Stamp Duty Reserve Tax (SDRT)
- Stamp Duty
- Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT)
- Land Transaction Tax (LTT)
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)
Qualifications and positions of note
- Chartered Tax Adviser (CIOT) (Fellow)
- Barrister (non-practising)
- LLB (Hons)
- Taxation’s Tax Writer of the Year (2017)
- Chair of the Stamp Taxes Practitioners Group
- Member of HMRC’s stamp duty working together groups
- Listed in the 2021 edition of Spear’s 500
I am based at