We support our clients through the financial complexities and help reduce the overall tax cost.
The process of separation and divorce is stressful and time consuming and considering the tax implications of restructuring the familial assets can often be given low priority. Indeed the increased complexity of the tax legislation means that unexpected tax implications can occur in the process of dividing assets between the parties which can reduce the familial wealth overall. We work with our clients and their legal advisers to ensure that the division of assets is structured tax efficiently, whilst achieving their objectives.
Our team of specialists have extensive experience of advising of the tax implications of dividing assets when a couple separate. We can assist with the following:
- Corporate restructuring and the tax implications
- UK tax advice for non-UK domiciled individuals, including restructuring of offshore trusts
- Advising in relation to residence and the UK tax implications arising
- The tax implications of the transfer of assets between the parties and how to structure these tax efficiently
- Advice in relation to making timely and appropriate elections
- Resolving tax irregularities with HMRC.
We are also able to provide accredited Expert Witness support and frequently work with family lawyers to provide resolution towards a tax efficient separation of the family assets.
Following on from finalising a separation or divorce, we provide continuing support including tax compliance and tax planning into the future.