Bernard Blick, who was part of the firm from inception, was not an accountant and ran an insurance broking department. After about four years he established a separate general insurance broking business.
The firm’s first premises were a small suite of rooms in Copthall House, Copthall Avenue, in the City of London, and the ground where it stood is now part of the 'new' building of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
In the firm’s first year the total fee income was £2,061, having sent out 56 bills to 36 clients.
The firm’s first employee joined as a secretary in 1946 and the first professional member of staff, Phil Phillips, joined in October 1947. Henry Rothenberg (Helmut’s brother) joined as a partner in December 1946; he died tragically aged 51 at the height of his career in January 1968.
During the 1960s, Eric Noble, a Manchester Chartered Accountant, joined the firm, which was then known as Blick Rothenberg & Noble.
Helmut Rothenberg’s sons David and Bob joined the firm in 1966 and 1977 respectively. Bob is the firm’s current senior while David retired in 2016 after more than 50 years with the firm. Helmut retired as a partner in 1989, and from then on the firm practised under the name of Blick Rothenberg; he remained as a consultant to the firm until his death in 2003 at the age of 88.
In December 2012, the firm moved to its current premises in Covent Garden. At the same time the firm was incorporated as an LLP.
Whilst maintaining the firm’s values and culture, and continuing to focus on international and entrepreneurial businesses and individuals, the firm has not stood still.
In October 2016, private equity firm HgCapital made an investment in the firm as part of its sector-focused approach of investing in leading regulatory-driven businesses in and around the accounting and tax compliance space.
The investment has allowed Blick Rothenberg to continue its development; keeping pace with clients' rapidly changing requirements while maintaining its culture of supporting and developing its people, and investing in innovative technology to support the delivery of a truly excellent service.
On 1 December 2017, the firm acquired Shelley Stock Hutter LLP, an award winning, audit, accountancy, outsourcing and business advisory firm with a strong presence in the owner managed business market place. This partnership will provide opportunities to build on our current strengths and offer existing and new clients a broader service offering both now and in the future.
The firm now has over 40 partners and directors and over 300 people.